Information for our 25th National Final to come in spring 2020.
Congratulations to our 2019 National Finalists!
The top 20 2019 National Finalists were:
- Akib Shamsuddin - Vincent Massey Secondary (Ontario)
- Arathi Vallipuranathan - Agincourt C.I. (Ontario)
- Awad Khalid - Webber Academy (Alberta)
- David Landry - Lisgar Collegiate Institute (Ontario)
- Jonathan Chassé- Instruit à la maison (Quebec)
- Joshua Mah - Burnaby North Secondary School (British Columbia)
- Justin Qian - Grandview Heights School (Alberta)
- Keith Christofferson - Southridge School (British Columbia)
- Matthew Woodward - London Central S.S. (Ontario)
- Matthew Wadden - Riverview High School (Nova Scotia)
- Micah Colman - Glebe Collegiate Institute (Ontario)
- Nicholas Hume - Devon Middle School (New Brunswick)
- Peter Vashchilko - Sir John Franklin School (Alberta)
- Ryan Sharpe - Abbey Park High School (Ontario)
- Ryan Wu - Fisher Park/Summit Alternative School (Ontario)
- Ryder Bishop - Lockport School (Manitoba)
- Tawfeeq Mannan - Old Scona Academic High School (Alberta)
- Timothy Tao - Broadview P.S. (Ontario)
- William Szeto - University of Toronto Schools (Ontario)
- Xavier Spano - Charles R. Beaudoin (Ontario)
Here are some photos from our 2019 National Final Weekend (photo credit: Tanya Kirnishni/Canadian Geographic)
When: The 2020 National Final will be held in Ottawa, Ontario May 30 - June 1, 2020.
Live National Final: The live National Final will be held at the Alex Trebek Theatre on Monday June 1, 2020 at the RCGS headquarters, 50 Sussex Drive. This is a free event and open to the public. The event begins at 11:00 and concludes around 13:30. Doors open at 10:30.
For those who live out of town and would like to follow along, there will be a Facebook livestream event.
How will the National Final be organized?
The National Championship will be comprised of three rounds.
1. The Preliminary Round will be a written test.
2. Round two will involve geographic field work.
Scores from rounds one and two will be used to determine the five student finalists who will participate in the third round. Scores for the top five students will be reset upon entering the final round. The scores from their first two rounds will not influence their score in the final round.
3. The final round will be open to the public and hosted in a game show-like format. It will be held at the new headquarters of the Royal Canadian Geogrpahical Society, 50 Sussex Drive, Ottawa, Ontario. Time of event will be confirmed closer to the event.
What language will the National Final be held in?
The National Championship will be held in both official languages of Canada. Students will have the option to compete in either English or French.
Can my class watch the National Final?
The first 2 rounds of the National Final are private and not open to the public. The third round will be open to the public. We will make a live steam available for anyone interested in supporting and following along. This link will be made available on the homepage closer to the National FInal date.
First Place: $5,000
Second Place: $3,000
Third Place: $2,000